The University of Tsukuba invites applications from international students for the 2011 University of Tsukuba “Tsukuba Scholarship” as per the guidelines outlined below. The University of Tsukuba offers programs through which international students studying at the University of Tsukuba at the undergraduate level can earn their academic degrees by taking classes only in English (hereinafter referred to as “Degree Programs in English”).
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial support for exceptional international students who are applying to enter the Degree Programs in English at the undergraduate level, thereby contributing to the cultivation of people who can make future contributions to international society.
2. Application Qualifications and Conditions
Applicants for this scholarship must fulfill the following conditions:
(1) Nationality: Applicants whose nationality is of a country other than Japan
(2) Applicants who fulfill the qualifications for entering the Degree Program in English in any of the following undergraduate schools:
(Reference) Programs to be offered in 2011
-Undergraduate Program of International Social Studies, School of Social and International Studies
-Interdisciplinary Program of Life and Environmental Sciences, School of Life and Environmental Sciences
-International Undergraduate-Education Program for Medical Scientists, School of Medicine and Medical Sciences
(3) Applicants who, upon entering the University of Tsukuba, do not receive nor expect to receive a scholarship or scholarships from any other scholarship-granting organizations or bodies for the purpose of studying abroad.
(4) Applicants who are certain to obtain a “College Student” visa before entering Japan. Please note that if the applicant stays in Japan on a status of residence other than “College Student,” he/she must change it to “College Student.”
3. Duration of Scholarship
The duration of the scholarship will be from the first month of entering the university until the end of the applicable academic year (August 2011 to March 2012). From April 2012, students may apply for other scholarships from the University of Tsukuba or from other scholarship-granting organizations or bodies.
4. Scholarship Amount Details
(1) Travel expenses: The scholarship will pay a uniform amount of 100,000 yen for travel expenses to Japan from abroad when entering the University of Tsukuba. However, this travel expense payment is limited to those recipients who will be newly coming to Japan from abroad for the purposes of entering the University of Tsukuba. This amount will be transferred to recipients? bank account along with their first scholarship after they have joined the University.
(2) Monthly stipend: Scholarship recipients will receive one of the following monthly stipends based on their results in the entrance examination etc.
Class 1: 100,000 yen per month
Class 2: 60,000 yen per month
(3) Admission fee and first-year tuition exemptions: In addition to the above noted travel expenses and monthly stipend, scholarship recipients will receive exemptions from paying their admission fee (a one-time only fee of 282,000 yen) and their first-year tuition (from August 2011 to March 2012, 357,200 yen), for a total of 639,200 yen.
5. Number of Scholarships Available
In the academic year 2011-12, the following number of scholarships will be offered for a total of three programs as indicated in 2 (2) above.
Class 1: 6 scholarships
Class 2: 9 scholarships
6. Application Documents
2011 University of Tsukuba “Tsukuba Scholarship” Application Form (attached form) 1 copy
Note: The scholarship applicants must also submit the application form of the Degree Program in English in which they are interested to the office concerned. Visit the following website for details regarding the Degree Programs in English. http://www.entrance-exam.tsukuba.ac.jp/
7. Application Period and Address for Submission of Application
Applicants for this scholarship should send the “2011 University of Tsukuba „Tsukuba Scholarship? Application Form” (see Item 6) by either postal mail or e-mail to the following address during the application period of the Degree Program in English of their choice. Please note that application documentation arriving later than the prescribed application period will not be accepted.
Address for submitting application documentation:
International Student Center
University of Tsukuba
Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki-ken JAPAN
E-mail: [email protected]
8. Selection and Notice of Decision
Scholarship recipients will be selected based on a comprehensive assessment of their application documentation, the results of their interview (in cases where interviews are conducted for university admission), and the content of their scholarship applications. Results of the scholarship selection will be sent to all applicants together with the notice of their entrance examination results.
Please note that applications for the 2011 Tsukuba Scholarship submitted will be used only for the selection of scholarship recipients, not for admissions to the applicants respective Degree Programs in English.
9. Obligations of Scholarship Recipients
Scholarship recipients are expected to fully understand the educational purpose of the Degree Program in English that is conducted in their affiliated undergraduate school. Furthermore, it is expected that scholarship recipients consistently display leadership skills in educational activities undertaken with other students at the University of Tsukuba as well as any other activities.
10. Special Note
The scholarship will be revoked if any of the following situations occur:
(1) If the scholarship recipient has falsified any part of the application documentation.
(2) If the scholarship recipient takes a leave of absence, withdraws or is expelled from his/her program of study because of disciplinary measures.
(3) If the scholarship recipient has displayed behavior in his/her studies or lifestyle that is deemed unsuitable.
11. Inquiries Regarding the Tsukuba Scholarship for 2011
Inquiries may be directed to:
The Division of International Students
Department of Global Activities
University of Tsukuba
Email: [email protected]
Note: Any enquiries regarding the entrance examination of the Degree Programs in English should be directed to the Division of Admissions, Department of Educational Promotion.
E-mail: [email protected]